Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Going A Little Far Don't You Think?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Starbucks, but don't you think you're going a little too far?

http://www.everydaymoney.ca/2011/01/starbucks-adds-whopping-drink-size.html

A 31 fluid ounces of sweetened beverage? 3 ounces shy of 1 liter? Is this really necessary? No, it's not. It's enabling gluttony. Why not just make the people walk out the door with 2 grandes or 4 shorts? They're the same thing!

I've always been a bit miffed by the fact that Starbucks doesn't list it's short beverage prices on the menu. I was right ticked off when I heard they were planning to take the talls off the menu as well. Marketers know full well that people order what they can see, do most people even know that they have a short option?

The problem here is twofold. Larger sizes come at larger prices. Only show people the larger sizes, and more often than not that's what they'll buy. Waistlines get larger and wallets get smaller.

I like the small coffee shop concept of Starbucks. Yes, the charm has taken a considerable hit during it's global hyper-expansion, but it's still there. Competing with McDonalds and 7-11? Come on Starbucks, I'm disappointed in you.

3 comments:

Louise said...

wow! bigger isn't always better, especially with coffee, you have to wonder how much further this 'upsizing' will go!

Cassie said...

I know what you mean Louise! There are some places I won't even buy from anymore because their sizes, and prices, have just gotten too big! (I'm looking at YOU movie theater)

I'd be a little worried about the caffeine content in one of those suckers as well. There is a such thing as too much.

I'd buy one to be split amongst a family of 4. That's about the right portion size.

Clare said...

I'm with you, the bigger size grosses me out.