Thursday, February 24, 2011

Avoiding Temptation

Reason #437 to bring something interesting (and filling) to work for lunch:

Avoiding the brand new shiny restaurant downstairs. Damn does it smell good.

For the last 8 months or so the restaurant on the first floor of our building had been under renovation. And I believe new ownership. What that meant for me was that my office, conveniently located directly above the bulk of the work, has been noisy as hell with them sawing, drilling and banging away to their hearts content on the kitchen ceiling and plumbing. Those pipes run up my office wall, and the sound was downright deafening at times. I actually went to the safety department, got a stash of ear plugs, and went around my corner of the office offering them to people. Everyone took a pair. I think someone may have finally taken us seriously and lodged a complaint, because towards the end the louder noise held off until 5pm on the dot. We all thought we should get coupons to the place for having to endure that, but no such luck.

But, it's over now, and what was once a fairly dated run of the mill restaurant and salad bar is now a brand spanking new Brazilian BBQ joint.

*insert drool here*

If I'm not mistaken it will be featured on the show "Opening Soon", because their camera crews were hanging around the last few days. Opening day came, so I decided to check out their website rather than tempting myself by going in to have a look.

Holy crap. It's going to be a while before I go there.

It's a fixed price meal that uses what is apparently called a "rodizio" concept. You have a little disk you flip back and forth between the red and green sides. Green signals the servers to bring over a selection of meat skewers from the BBQ, red signals them that you don't want any more meat at the moment. You pick up your side dishes from some form of salad bar off to the side. It doesn't say whether or not appetizers, drinks and dessert are included in the price, but considering they have a bar in there and the dessert pictures look plated, I'm going to say probably not.

Lunch is $22

Dinner is $45

This girl will go broke(r) in there.

I can see why they need the keep the price up, especially since it looks like an all you can eat meat bar. Very Alberta friendly. Very not Cassie's wallet friendly.

And I smell it every time I go downstairs now.

So not fair.

4 comments:

Donair said...

If you haven't noticed, all the elevators and the 3nd and 3rd floor elevator areas also smell like meat. I cant help but drool just from walking around the building.

Cassie said...

I've been taking the stairs, so I've been able to limit my tempation to once a day as I leave the office.

The Asian Pear said...

Mmm. Brazillian restaurant. I went to one for Christmas dinner with my friends. LOVE IT! Too bad it's so pricey... Say no to temptation Cassie! SAY NO!

Cassie said...

I'm working on it! lol