Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nickel and Diming - part 2?

I'm sure this is a subject that has touched a lot of people before: aggressive panhandlers.

I didn't move to the city until I was in University, so needless to say my experience with them has only been the last 5 years or so. I've gotten used to aggressively telling them I don't have any money and to leave me alone. Usually they do. Today this guy asked if I'd rather he robbed me.

I contemplated chucking a box of tampons at him, but thought better of it.

I went down into the LRT (train) station he was hovering around, looking for safety in numbers. He didn't follow me directly, but definitely came down a minute or two later after some other people. He said he wanted 5 cents. If people didn't give him something they'd be sorry.

Seriously? You're going to start something over 5 cents? You can't even buy a piece of gum for that anymore.

I guess you could say this was a more literal grab for money than the business type.

In better news, I came home to an insurance check in the mail for some prescriptions I had forgotten about. Yay bonus credit card payment!

No comments: