Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pre-payday Cookery

As joyous as I am when payday arrives, I'm equally less than joyous the week leading up to it. Why? Money is tight. Of course. If it wasn't, I probably wouldn't even blink on payday. Such is life.

Speaking of life, I would kind of like to sustain it. That means I need to eat. With $6.46 left in my checking account, I don't exactly have the capacity to be eating out for the next 5 days, nor do I want to be. Instead, I'm turning my sights to my cupboards. That onion hiding in behind the pasta boxes at the bottom of the pantry, and an ice block of beef stock I made a while back will turn into french onion soup with the help of some stale bread courtesy of thanksgiving, and the last of the shredded cheese in the fridge. The remainder of the pumpkin from Thanksgiving will be turning into soup and possibly some muffins for the morning. Frozen stir fry veggies (when did I buy these? When I bought my freezer??) will be turning into a non-frozen vegetable stir fry that can go over rice or soba noodles.

It occurs to me on a regular basis that the only reason I eat out is sheer laziness (or cravings, but that's another story). It certainly isn't due to a lack of food in the house. Something to work on.

No comments: