Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A(n) (Un)necessary Bill Payment

Paying bills soothes my nerves.

I’m actually not joking. Yesterday I was sitting at my desk at work, internally freaking out about my finances. What did I do? I logged onto the bank website and moved the money out of my savings account and onto a debt. It didn’t pay the debt off, and my savings account is now empty, but it served the purpose of calming my nerves. That’s it.

There seem to be a couple different schools of thought when it comes to personal finance. Some say to pay off debt first, save later. Others say to do them both at the same time. Both have their merits. Previously I was saving while I was paying off debt, but now I’m not entirely sure how I want to approach this. Aside from my mortgage, I have 3 debts. I almost feel sometimes like it would be easier to have lots of small debts rather than having 3 big ones. At least that way you have the occasional satisfaction of paying something off in full and forgetting about it. It will be quite a while before I can do something like that, save for selling my car and paying off the loan with the proceeds.

I wish I knew a better way of dealing with my stress.

No comments: