Monday, May 16, 2011

Bright Sunshiny Day

It's beautiful out.

By beautiful I mean it's 20 some-odd degrees, the wind has died down, and there isn't a cloud in the sky. I should be outside basking in the sun and gardening!

Except, ummm, I'm already burned.... yeah...

I should have paid attention earlier in the week when The Boy said it looked like I had gotten some sun. I assumed it was because I had just gotten out of the shower that my skin was flushed, so I didn't think anything of it. Bad move. I didn't spend a tonne of time outside during my yard sale Saturday, but I did spend a little bit. Just enough to burn my nose, and lightly burn my cheeks. That was unexpected, though upon some reflection it occurred to me that the acne medications I've been on for the last 6 months are known to make the skin photosensitive. Very photo sensitive, apparently.

I'm going to need some sunscreen.

This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that every sunscreen I've ever tried has made me break out.

I believe that right there falls under the category of irony.

But, it is what it is. It's only mid spring and I've already been burned from moderate sun exposure. This summer I'm supposed to do a 200 km bike ride, spend lots of time out at The Boy's lake lot with his friends on a boat, and spend some time on the ocean with the family. There is no way I'm going to be able to do that without sunscreen.

Phooey

So, today I'm going to drop off some of the yard sale left overs at the goodwill donation center, then head down to the mall to gather sunscreen samples to try. That and a sample of some of the Argan Oil that FB says has been working for her skin.

I'm a Sephora V.I.B. (until the end of this year, because I highly doubt I'll spend enough this year to get that status again next year), and they have a "free makeover" promotion this month. I doubt there will be many people there on a Monday afternoon, so I'm going to book myself one today. I could use a little perk up, and free is right in my price range right now.

All you lovely ladies (and gents) with sensitive skin: What kind of sunscreen do you use?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am irish so I burn and freckle..and not in the cute pretty way. I use the maximum I can find and always use something that doesnt have coco butter because it makes me break out.

good luck
judy

banclothing said...

I used to use Benzaclin on my face which made it burn easily in the sun. I started using the same moisturizer but switched to the version with spf 15 and it did the trick. It wasn't greasy and didn't make me break out. I can't use suntan lotion on my face or I will have the king of breakouts later.

Lisa said...

The only brand I've found that isn't too bad is Neutrogena. Its not cheap, so I only use it on my face, and just use anything I have on hand for everything else.

Anonymous said...

I have two suggestions and both depend on the level of SPF cover for your sunscreen... I breakout with greasy sun screens and have light rosacea so my skin burns easily. I use neutrogena face moisturizer with 15 SPF in it, and I put that on under my makeup if I wear any, but I also use MAC foundation with SPF 15 in it. It works fairly well.

Cassie said...

Hmmm, that's 2 counts for Neutrogena. I might have to check theirs out.

banclothing - I'm using Clindoxyl and Differin currently, both are known to make the skin photosensitive. Fun fun.

Judy - I didn't know sunscreens used cocoa butter, is this a common ingredient?

Anonymous said...

I have been using the oil-free one from Philip Thomas Roth for the last several years. It's fragrance free, non-greasy, and doesn't clog pores. On the pricier end, but worth it!

My friend who has ultra sensitive skin and burns easily uses La Roche Posay Anthelios XL. He says it's the best sunblock available.