Sunday, May 22, 2011

Is Anybody Out There?

If you are reading this, I'll take that as evidence enough that the world didn't end yesterday at 6pm.

Awesome.

As evidenced by the fact that I'm writing this post, I obviously didn't fall into the believer camp. The bible says no one but the Father knows when the world will end, so why should I believe one guy who says based on an arbitrary numerical calculation that he knows when its going to happen? Sure, the numbers 5, 10 and 17 may have biblical significance, but so does 3. Why wasn't 3 included in the calculation?

I was quite amused by the rolling earthquake at 6pm local time. I'd like to point out, at least from a physics perspective, that shockwaves aren't unidirectional. And besides, if God doesn't want us to know when the end is coming, do you think he'd let it happen on a day that's been so heavily advertised? Personally, if I was to plan a surprise and someone went around announcing it, I'd pick it up and move it a couple days. Just saying.

Its interesting to note that the same fellow has made this prediction before, only last time it was September 1994. I kind of feel bad for Robert Fitzpatrick, the guy spent his life savings on placards for New York subway cars announcing that yesterday was the end of the world. He's 60 years old, and now he has nothing left. You would think there would be some way to protect people from themselves, but there isn't. Mr. Fitzpatrick has no money left, I (among others) have large debts, and someone else out there is laughing all the way to the bank.

Bugger.

But, I'm not going to dwell on this today. In fact, I'm going to forget about it entirely. It's a long weekend, it's beautiful outside, my parents are visiting from out of province, and I'm spending time with them and a wonderful man. Life is still going, and its good.

Have a good Sunday everyone :)

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I didn't believe that it was going to happen by any means. It's interesting to entertain the "what if it did" idea.

Out My window said...

I was standing on stage, at the theater I had over 100 dancers all spread out in the auditorium stretching getting ready for the next performance. One of the older girls pipes up out of the silence. Oh it is 6:20 we didn't get raptured! Everyone stops moving and looks around. So I said, "Yes, you are right,only the people associated with this studio are left on earth. We will perform in 30 minutes for an empty house. Obviously none of us made it! I am sorry". One of the 8 year old boys pipes up out of the back. Who gets to be a raptor? I have to be a bluebird? We were doing Sleeping Beauty! Great laugh great performance, full house!

Cassie said...

@outmywindow - That little boy is too cute. Congratulations on performing in front of a full house!